Saturday, December 27, 2008

This Christmas season was not the norm to say the least.
My grandmother passed away on the 17th and we were so preoccupied with her final days and funeral arrangements that Christmas was the last thing on my mind.

Our Christmas Eve service was just what I needed to get me focused on the true meaning of Christmas.
After the service Josh, the boys, mom and I headed to Apple Valley to celebrate Christmas with our family.
The drive was long and the Christmas music was blasting.

I turned to the back seat to ask Jagger if he knew why we celebrate Christmas. He replied "Because we're not Jewish!" True, but not the answer I was looking for. It did however give us all a good laugh.
My cousin called me on the way up to the high desert and asked if we would all want to go caroling at the assisted living center and Alzheimer's center in Victorville. Without hesitation we all said YES!
At 10:30 on Christmas morning about 20 of us, including 6 kids under the age of 7, gathered to sing for the residents at The Stirling Inn. My aunt and uncle were dressed in full Santa & Mrs. Claus attire and took pictures with the residents.
Many of the residents don't see
family at all for Christmas so we became their adopted family.
The Alzheimer's center was much more emotional for all of us. As we walked in there were 2 women coloring pictures of stockings and candy canes. You could see that they had all received a gift from the staff at the center which had been stuffed in a toilet paper roll and wrapped in paper with ties at each end. I remember giving gifts like that to my mom when I was in grade school yet these were grown adults and this was the extent of their Christmas gifts.
We sang to them and their faces lit up when they saw Santa walk in.
One woman asked if she could come with me to where ever I was going. Another asked my cousin what day it was. When she realized it was Christmas, she asked if her daughter was coming. Neither of us knew what to say.

On the way home Stephen told me that it was the best part of Christmas to make someone so happy by just singing a few songs. Stephen has such a tender heart for a 14 year old boy. He makes me proud every single day because of how kind he is to others.
Our intent was to bless those less fortunate but we were the ones who were blessed beyond measure.
posted by World of Wright at 9:55 PM |

2 Comments:

At December 28, 2008 at 1:23 AM, Blogger Kristi said........
What a FANTAStIC Christmas idea!!!! I would love to be a part of something like that. Thanks for sharing your day with us!
 


At December 28, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Blogger Heidi said........
Wow.... This post really got me. Tears, chills, the whole thing. Heartbreaking - and yet, you brought so much joy to those beautiful people - and to your readers!

Thank you so much for telling us all about it. We should get a group together and do that next year at some point during the holidays.