Thursday, October 16, 2008


My grandmother (known as Mema to most) is 84 and recently discovered she has a tumor in her lung and a broken pelvis. Needless to say she's not feeling well.
Mom and I decided to go visit her in Apple Valley on Tuesday. I am a busy person by nature and rarely sit around doing nothing. I always have supplies for a project at the ready. Mema's days on the other hand are filled with movies on Lifetime, Dr. Phil, her favorite soap operas and infomercials. Since I'm not one to sit around watching T.V. all day, I decided to bring some fabric I had bought about 6 months ago so we could sew together.
I'm probably the most domesticated of Mema's grand children or children for that matter. Mema taught me to sew in High School and I would always come over with a patern or idea in my head. Mema was usually rooked into helping me out and she would always help me correct mistakes I had made due to my youthful impatience.
Ever since I moved to Orange County she mentions from time to time that we don't do projects together like we used to. When we visit the High Desert we are usually rushing to see both my husbands family and my family which doesn't leave much time for arts and crafts.
The curtains I made with Mema are beautiful and now hang in my living room. They are beautiful not for the color, fabric or design but for the love of a grandmother that taught me to sew at the age of 15.
Love you Mema!
posted by World of Wright at 1:56 PM |

5 Comments:

At October 16, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Blogger Heidi said........
What a beautiful memory that you'll carry with you forever. I will be praying for your grandma. I would love to see a picture of the curtains!!
 


At October 16, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Blogger VikingMom said........
How sweet! Neither one of my grandma's were sewers (as in "sew"-er...not "sewer" as in the underground tunnel for poo! :)) However, my Gigi used to do the plastic cross-stitch stuff all the time. Everytime I see it I think of her.

That's great that you got to share that special time with her.
 


At October 16, 2008 at 7:12 PM, Blogger Sheila R. Rose said........
Your living room looks absolutely beautiful, Mandy. I love it.
 


At October 17, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Blogger Kodos Mom said........
I will pray for Mema....
 


At November 4, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Blogger Bits from Bonnie said........
That made me cry! I love that you have that memory of her. I am so glad that you can share it with others!!!