Thursday, January 29, 2009
Josh is once again managing Jagger's baseball team.

Last weekend Josh and Jag sat and figured out their team choices for this season.

The final decision was
1. Angels (Hello!!!)
2. Red Sox
3. Yankees
4. Mets (I love David Wright and it would be so cute to see a mini Wright #2 on the field)
5. Nationals (That was a random pick and I have no idea why the Nats were in the running)

This year the returning managers draw numbers and get to choose the team logo they will proudly wear this season.

Last night Josh drew the number 5 which didn't look too good. He worried that all the good teams would be taken and they would actually be the Nationals.

As luck would have it the coaches who drew numbers 3 & 4 were a Cubs fan and a Dodger fan.
Long story short...Jagger is going to be a Yankee this year.

We are not Yankee fans but there is a certain sense of pride you get when daunting those Yankee pinstripes.

As soon as Jag found what team he was on he picked his number...25 because our beloved Mark Teixeira will be wearing a Yankee uniform this year (I tear up as I type this blog).

The draft strategy was much harder to come up with. Josh knew a lot of our players from last season went to another league or moved up a division. There was nobody on the list that we recognized.

Stephen in his infinite wisdom suggest Josh pick the kids with Hispanic last names. Don't get all "Mandy is prejudice" on me. The logic behind the suggestion was...Stephen has a Hispanic last name and he's a good ball player plus almost all of our favorite pro ball players are from the Dominican Republic.

The idea might actually work! Not to mention most of the white dads come to practice in a suite and think that we play baseball so everyone can have a good time not necessarily to win (Whatever!). Every time our team has lost a game and we give the kids that "at least we all had fun" line, the kids look at us like we are a bunch of morons. The truth is little Tommy was chasing after the ice cream truck when he was supposed to be on 2nd base and little Bobby was too busy holding his mommy's leg to catch the ball.

The season hasn't even really begun and I'm already exhausted.

But as long as we all have fun, that's all that matters right?
posted by World of Wright at 12:25 PM |

4 Comments:

At January 29, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Blogger Sarah B. said........
Amen! We are a baseball family and Angels fans for sure. When Ethan was a Yankee the first season of ponny league we weren't happy at first...boo hoo Yankees. BUT upon looking at the other teams (A's, Rangers, and so on) he was happy to put on the Yankee uniform...as hard as it is they are sort of America's team..lol.
This year Ethan told us he would like to play spring soccer instead of baseball...everyone was ok with it except for Mommy. We are a baseball family...but I guess my original family (Mom, Dad, Sister) is a baseball family. And I am thinking of the positives like having more free time because baseball does take over your life. But I am still upset because I don't think he can go pro after dropping out at the age of 8. There goes my dream.
 


At January 29, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Blogger Sarah B. said........
And some how I totally turned that comment around and made it all about me...so I will end by saying that maybe I can come cheer on Jagger since I won't have any games to attend this year. :)
 


At January 29, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Blogger Rick said........
I'd like a schedule, too
 


At January 31, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Blogger VikingMom said........
My second favorite uniform Austin ever wore was a Yankee uniform (second only to his current Viking uni.) There was definitely pride in wearing those pinstripes--you know the illogical teary eyed parental type of pride. Austin's number was 4 just like Lou Gehrig.

As for Stephen's technique in picking kids--I think it was a clever one. We'll just have to see how it pans out. I have a feeling your team will a good one.