Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Over the weekend I drove down Adams toward Brookhurst with my mom in tow. We passed by the empty Mervyn's building on my left. The familiar words came to mind "Mom, wanna stop by Mervyn's?" but those words I will never speak again.


Yesterday I paid homage to the departed retailer by wearing an entire Mervyn's ensemble including shirt, shoes and pants. I recalled the purchase of every piece of clothing like it was yesterday. $7 shoes on clearance, $20 pants, $10 top and all were suitable for work.


Oh how I will miss her clearance racks full of thrifty treasures to behold.

I will miss stopping by in need of a cute shirt for $10 to wear just because I feel like getting a new shirt today.

I will miss the occasional gift card at Christmas or my birthday.


I fear I may never purchase an entire business casual outfit for under $40 ever again.


Kohls snuck in like a thief in the night to destroy Mervyn's with Vera Wang clothing, then finished her off with a makeup and fragrance counter rivaling that of WalMart!


It sickens me!
posted by World of Wright at 9:18 AM |

5 Comments:

At January 7, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Blogger Heidi said........
Mervyns holds some sentimental value for me as well - but it's really gone down hill over the last few years...

I love Kohls - give it a chance - they have killer sales!! Your days of entire outfits under $40 are not a thing of the past. Trust me - Kohls is awesome! :)
 


At January 7, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Blogger World of Wright said........
Thank you Heidi!
I feel better already. I have to agree Mervyns did go down hill a bit in the end.
 


At January 7, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Blogger VikingMom said........
I worked at Mervyn's while we were in college...in fact I worked right up till the week before Austin was born. I went on maternity leave and never came back. Working there was great because I got the discount and knew when things were marked down. But, alas, they did go downhill in the last few years. The Mervyn's of old will be missed.
 


At January 7, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Blogger Kristi said........
Oh yes. RIP Merv.

It makes me SO sad when stores go out of business. I haven't shopped at meryvn's in years (except for when it was 70-80% off last month)...but it hold sentimental value...remembering shopping there when I was in high school with my mom. Ah, those were the days. Clearance racks yes, but mom paying for them...even better! :o)

I do like Kohl's a tad bit better than Merv's. Maybe you should give it a try. I used to shop there a lot when we had one close to our house in RSM for their sales. They were ridiculous!!!

Best wishes on your new adventure with Kohl's.
 


At January 9, 2009 at 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Sorry that our evil Kohl's took over. When we first moved to WI mom and I commented on how similar Mervyn's and Kohls were. We were so excited. It was a bit of home in the frozen tundra!
I have to agree with the other posts. Kohl's has awesome clearance. I worked there for a while. The rotation is pretty fast for clearance so don't fret you can still get a bargain!