Thursday, July 2, 2009
Stephen is now in high school.
He often stays up until 1 or 2 A.M. watching T.V. or a movie, texting his friends or talking to them on the phone etc.
I usually get up around 1 or 2 to see if he is still awake and make sure the house is in order, turn off the T.V. blah blah blah.
But I digress...
Last night after youth group, Stephen and his friend Jacob were making dinner at about 9:30.
I went to bed around 10.
I wake up at around 1 A.M. as usual and see the T.V. is on, every light is on in the front part of the house and no boys are nowhere to be found.
I go turn off the T.V., go in the kitchen to find he had left one of the burners on after he cooked dinner for he and his friend (it had been on for about 4 hours).
I check the front door and the door is UNLOCKED, peak in Stephen's room to see if they had crashed in there, and still...NO BOYS TO BE FOUND!!!
Now when I was his age my mom would have called my friend's mom's to find me but things are different now.
I don't have phone numbers to the moms but I have numbers for all the friends because they all have cell phones. I call the cell phones of Stephen and his friend...no answer.
I check for status updates on facebook and myspace (again, not something my mom ever did to find out where I was or what I was doing) No status updates either.
I text Brittany (who always seems to know where Stephen is and had been with Stephen earlier at youth group) and she says he went to Jacob's house around 10:30 or 11.
By the way, texting "You wouldn't happen to know where Stephen is would you?" will not get you the mom of the year award I'm pretty sure.
By this time I'm pretty sure he is safe but still not totally sure because I haven't spoken to him myself. Well, I'm sure enough he's O.K that I start plotting his punishment.
I finally spoke to Stephen this morning and he spent the night at his friends as I thought, so now it's GAME ON!
Does anyone know when punishment becomes abuse?
I'd like to get as close to that fine line as I possibly can!
posted by World of Wright at 8:15 AM |

5 Comments:

At July 2, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Blogger Rick said........
Have a t-shirt made, and require him to wear it outside the house for 30 days. The imprint:
"Ask me if I've let my Mom know where I am."
 


At July 2, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Anonymous brittany said........
oh man. i felt so terrible.
 


At July 3, 2009 at 7:47 PM, Blogger Heidi said........
I"m glad he's okay...

And I second Rick's idea about the shirt.
 


At July 6, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Blogger Kristi said........
O mercy. I am glad he is safe. But I do not look forward to these days. YUK! So...what was the punishment?
 


At July 7, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Blogger Bits from Bonnie said........
I remember when Mandy went to a "Class Skate Party". Translation, meeting a boy at the skate rink and my friends are all in on it. I had this gut feeling, and went back to the skating rink. She was standing flirtatiously in front of the boy who just happened to be older (too much in my opinion). He was getting ready to kiss her when he just happened to get a glimpse of me over her shoulder coming towards them. The look on their faces was priceless. I was the bad guy to her, but I was a pretty protective mother hen. No older man was gonna mess with my baby girl...Sometimes the best punishment is when they are unsure of just what you plan to do about it. I am still deciding on how to punish her!!!